A Cuyahoga County jury awarded a $584,000 verdict to a construction worker who had been injured when he was struck by a construction vehicle. The verdict will be adjusted to reflect a finding of 30% fault on behalf of the worker. The case was tried by partners Ryan Fisher and Greg Scott.
A 27 year old graduate student sustained a permanent, catastrophic brain injury when the Ontel Products Corporation’s Iron Gym exercise bar he was using to do pull-ups during breaks from studying fell from its mounting, sending him crashing to the floor and striking his head. Prior to trial, the parties settled for a confidential amount.
While setting traffic barrels at a night time construction site, a laborer was struck by a car being driven by an intoxicated driver. The insurance companies of the driver, the construction company and the laborer’s employer were ultimately persuaded to resolve the laborer’s claims of brain injury and orthopaedic damages for approximately $3,000,000.
Shortly before trial obtained a seven-figure settlement in a personal injury and wrongful death claim for three mentally challenged group home residents and a police officer who rescued them when an arsonist set fire to their group home. Lowe Eklund was able to prove that the caretaker charged with supervising the three residents had negligently fallen asleep and was therefore unable to alert the residents of the home. The survivors were all badly burned.
While sorting metal at a scrapyard, a laborer lost both his legs above the ankles when he was struck by the bucket of an excavator. The excavator was defective due to an absence of motion alarms, and the operator was negligent for operating the equipment in a very small yard with the sun in his eyes.
Two year old plaintiff and his mom recovered a six-figure settlement from a landlord and an appliance retailer who failed to attach the anti-tip device to the stove. The two year old boy opened up the oven door and climbed on top of it in an attempt to reach the food cooking on the stove. Because the anti-tip device was not installed the stove tipped forward spilling hot oil on the child’s back causing third degree burns, hospitalization and skin grafts.
Young woman rendered quadriplegic when her passenger automobile rolled over and she was ejected because her seatbelt was attached to her door, which came open during the course of the rollover, taking the seatbelt with it and leaving her unrestrained.
Truck driver suffered severe permanent injuries, including blindness, when a defectively designed hatch lid on a tanker trailer failed to hold when under pressure, causing him to be drenched in hydrochloric acid.
A factory worker sustained a fractured skull and traumatic brain injury when a railing guarding a hole in a factory floor gave way causing him to fall and sustained a catastrophic injury. After several years of litigation, a seven-figure settlement was achieved on behalf of the injured worker.
Recovered over $1,000,000 for a factory worker who suffered a traumatic brain injury because of the dangerous condition of the safety equipment in his plant.